Sunday, June 23, 2013

Review #21: Rejjie Snow - Rejovich (2013)

So I haven't been working on the blog much, so I'm gonna make up for that by adding a new weekly feature I'll introduce later tonight, and having a blitz of reviews in the next week or so. I'm starting off that whole thing with an upcoming rapper from Ireland, Rejjie Snow. This shit dropped like 2 hours ago halfway across the world, and hasn't dropped here yet, so I'm blessin y'all with my early views.

1. Loveleen
Rejjie opens up with pitch-altered words reminiscent of Kendrick Lamar/A$AP Rocky, then drops a really chill verses. Frankly I wasn't expecting this kind of lyrical complexity, so I was pleasntly surprised on this track. Good start.

2. Snow (My Rap Song)
Wow, I thought this was gonna end up being a sleepy, but cool EP, but Rejjie throws a curveball on this one. The production is crazy good on here, and more energy in his raps is a great sound for Rejjie. This track was even better than Loveleen, and at track 2 of 5, there isn't much more room for him to screw this EP up if he runs with this kind of stuff.


3. USSR (Feat. Jesse James)
This beat sounds like something straight outta a Joey Bada$$ track, and I mean that in a good way. Rejjie goes back to his whisper rap style from Loveleen, but it works so that's okay. He mentions the Illuminati a few times, which always seems to be a hot topic so that's cool, and Jesse James drops a really good verse too.

4. 1992 (Feat. Loyle-Carner)
More whisper rap, more Joey Bada$$ beats. Separating these last two tracks might've been an idea, but this song acts as a solid origin story for Rejjie. Who knew his Dad introduced him to Dr. Dre. Loyle-Carner drops in for some good bars too.

5. Olga (1984)
This track really brings all of Rejjie's best assets together. He sounds like a mix of Tyler, The Creator and Earl Sweatshirt with some less electronic Flying Lotus production, and that's a pretty happy mixture. This is one of the best tracks I've heard from anyone in a long time, and I really crazy dope way to finish off the EP.

Rating: 8.5/10

Best Tracks: Olga (1984), and Snow (My Rap Song)

Overall a really good EP from Rejjie Snow, and I'm happy to see him blow up. Apparently he got an email from the subject of the next review, Kanye West to say thank you, so it's hard to think he'd be anywhere besides cloud 9 at the moment. I look forward to seeing something full length out of Rejjie.


No comments:

Post a Comment