Thursday, September 13, 2012

Review #4: Lil Wayne - The Dedication 4 (2012)

And now, for the first time on this blog I'll do something that came out recently, The Dedication 4, by Yung Weezy F Baby, AKA Lil Wayne. I was kind of excited when there were rumblings he retired, but then he snaked out of that and released this mixtape, which I haven't heard yet, mainly because I hate Lil Wayne. But, I'm gonna review it, because apparently he's actually good on this. I doubt it, but we'll see.
 
1. So Dedicated (Feat. Birdman)
Weezy pulls a sweet beat from Rick Ross' "So Sophisticated". This is the best I've heard Wayne in a long time, but still not amazing. I wasn't a fan of the "and then I ___________ and then I ___________" flow at parts, but not terrible, which says something.
 
2. So Damn Tune
The beat sounds like something out of Runescape at the beginning, and the beat seems kinda cheesy all the way through, which doesn't help. Wayne's energetic on here at least, but the beat ruins it unfortunately.
 
3. Cashed Out
"It's a good thing nigga rhymes with nigga, or this rap shit would be hard!" can be heard from the crowd at the beginning of this one. Another cheesy beat, and Weezy just can't carry the track.
 
4. No Worries (Feat. Detail)
I like how bassy this track, and Wayne actually sounds okay on this. I actually heard about this track before I did the review, off a singles chart. I really don't mind this song at all.
 
5. Mercy (Feat. Nicki Minaj)
I've always loved this beat, but I'm not sure if Nicki Minaj is capable of spitting a decent verse. Like she's okay for a female MC, but she doesn't deserve the amount of attention she gets. Wayne kinda steals Kanye's flow on this too, which isn't a plus.
 
6. Burn
I actually like Wayne's flow on this. I'm scared. The beat's passable, but not a stand-out. Probably the best track so far.
 
7. Amen (Feat. Boo)
I like this beat a lot, and Wayne ,once again, isn't terrible. But Boo just sounds like a worse Lil Wayne, so there's that. He's too sing-songy for me, and he sounds like he's breathing his rhymes sometimes.
 
8. Get Smoked (Feat. Lil Mouse)
Well, I hate this beat. And Lil Wayne's flow. And Lil Mouse might be the worst rapper I've heard in a fucking loooong time. I think this song might be a joke, it sounds like it was recorded through Lil Mouse's laptop. Poor.
 
9. My Homies (remix) (Feat. Young Jeezy, Jay Mills & Gudda Gudda)
I love this beat, but I hate how terrible the quality of this track is. Everyone sounds okay I guess, except, of course, Gudda Gudda. Also Lil Wayne doesn't make an appearance here, which is kind of odd.
 
10.  Green Ranger (Feat. J Cole)
This is actually the first time I've heard Drizzy 2.0 rap, and I actually like it. Not a bad verse by J Cole, and the minimalistic beat works. Lil Wayne's at his best here too, this is a decent track.
 
11. I Don't Like
Not a fan of this voice by weezy, and his habit of making gun noizes is getting old. The beat is pretty hardcore, but this track is meh overall.
 
12. No Lie
I liked this track better with 2 Chainz. That should say something.
 
13. Magic (Feat. Flo)
Weezy out-raps Flo by a mile, and a couple lines made me laugh. This song's nothing special, but it's listenable I suppose.
 
14. Wish You Would
I actually really like this beat, which is bad because I hate DJ Khaled. Weezy's sing-songy flow works on this, but it's still just a meh track.
 
15. A Dedication
Nice! An Outkast beat for the last track! Wait. He's not rapping. Lil Wayne. What you doing. Lil Wayne. Stahp. Lil Wayne, you're not a skater. Stop. You're a rapper. A poor rapper, but a rapper. Weezy this is the best beat on the project. Wayne. Rap. Well fuck you Weezy.
 
Best Tracks: Burn, and Green Ranger
 
Grade: 4.5/10
 
This shit was mostly bad, but had it's moments. It was much better then The Carter IV, which doesn't say much, but there's that. I don't really think I need to explain myself on this one, because the general consensus is that Weezy's poor.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment