Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Review #2: MF DOOM - Madvillainy (2004)

The second review ill be doing here is MF DOOM also known as Madvillain's album, Madvillainy. I know absolutely nothing about MF DOOM, but I really liked the track "All Caps", which I came across from the beat of "Deerskin" by Earl Sweatshirt. So imma give the album a try. Also, i writing this as I listen to each track (except All Caps) for the first time.

1. The Illest Villains (intro)
Kinda drags on abit, but a nice intro for the comic book feel. Beat kinda interferes with the talking a bit though.

2. Accordion
I really like this beat, pretty sweet. Not a crazy fan of DOOM's delivery, but I'll get used to it. Some solid punchlines too, but a really short song.

3. Meat Grinder
Nice instrumental lead in. I also actually like DOOM's delivery here, and again, pretty decent punchlines. Kinda wondering how short each track is though.

4. Bistro (interlude)
Not a giant fan of this beat, even for a short interlude.

5. Raid (Feat. Medaphoar)
I'm not sure who Medaphoar is, but I really like him on here.  DOOM's verse is alright too.

6. America's Most Blunted (Feat. Quas)
I like the beat, even though it's all over the place, and some decent rhymes here. But the end made me laugh my ass off!

7. Sickfit (Instrumental)
This beat is doooope! I kinda wanted to start spittin on this shit. Possibly my favorite track so far, and it's an instrumental.

8. Rainbows
Not a giant fan of the singing, but i liked the beat in between, and at the end.

9. Curls
The beat doesn't steal the show here, which is odd. DOOM drops a couple dope punchlines too. Another one verse wonder though.

10. Do Not Fire! (Instrumental)
I might even like this beat better than the last instrumental. Another dope beat.

11. Money Folder
DOOM sounds okay on here, but I'm starting to get sick of the weird alternative beats, and long vocal samples. I get that it's a concept album, but it's still pretty sample heavy.

12. Shadows Of Tommorow (Feat. Lord Quas)
Well that was fucking dope. A sick beat, Quas sounds pretty awesome on here, and DOOM sounds his best all album. Favorite track so far.

13. Operation Lifesaver AKA Mint Test
Solid track, DOOM's picking up steam here. Beat doesn't get in the way, but nothing special.

14. Figaro
Wow, DOOM sounds awesome here. Beat again isn't overly attention grabbing, but DOOM's flow is dope as hell on this. He just goes on and on with a dope rhyme scheme, another one of my favorite tracks here.

15. Hardcore Hustle (Feat. Wildchild)
Wildchild out-rhymes DOOM here, still a decent track. A great string of songs now, although im not a fan of the beat on this.

16. Strange Ways
Would've been my favorite song so far, but it has an annoying ass long vocal sample at the end. DOOM's at his best in terms of flow, and the beat is one of the best so far, with good strings. I like how it slows down near the end.

17. Fancy Clowns (Feat. Viktor Vaughn)
Not a giant fan of this beat, but DOOM sounds good on this. I wonder why they fely every song needs a different retro sounding interlude at the end? It gets annoying.

18. Eye (Feat. Stacy Epps)
This is a Stacy Epps solo joint...I'm not a fan of the beat, nor the singing. Sounds like the back beat for an old 50 Cent joint.

19. Supervillain Theme (Instrumental)
I love the instrumentals on here. The only problem with this one is it's too short.

20. All Caps
And the moment you've all been waiting for, ALL CAPS. My introduction to MF DOOM, and one of my favorite hip hop songs of all time. The beat, in my opinion, is one of the best of all time. MF DOOM sounds the best he has all album, and even the interlude of retro music at the end doesn't bother me. A+ on this for DOOM.

21. Great Day Today
Not a giant fan of the singing, or the beat on here, but DOOM sounds alright. I think I've come to the conclusion I hate all singing. Better go listen to Channell Orange.

22. Rhinestone Cowboy
And DOOM finishes things off with the longest track of the album. His flow sounds great, and good one liners. They insert a sample on here, but it doesn't really ruin the track for me. A decent track, but not one of the best off Madvillainy.

Best Tracks: Figaro, All Caps & Every Instrumental.

Grade: 7/10

The record has it's bad sides, but a few gems. The samples wore out their welcome, and so did DOOM's voice. Still, one the better albums I've heard in a while.





No comments:

Post a Comment