Friday, September 14, 2012

Review #5: Domo Genesis & The Alchemist - No Idols (2012)

The fifth review I'll be doing is one I was excited about; No Idols by Domo Genesis & The Alchemist. The Alchemist one of my favorite producers, up there with DJ Premier, while Domo consistently puts dope records together, even though he's not my favorite rapper in Odd Future. This is the first one that has potential to take away Relapse's title as top rating on the blog, so let's get to it.

1. Prophecy
I love the guitar riff on the beat, and Domo, despite having a pretty annoying voice, flows great on this, and drops a ton of dope punchlines. I really liked this track.


2. Fuck Everybody Else
Again, great flow on this, a pretty sweet beat, and also improved delivery. Feels pretty short though.

3. All Alone
I guess it was predictable, but I'm not sure if there's one beat I won't like on here. The grunting in the background is annoying, but Domo sounds great again, and has some pretty decent lines, despite sounding a little bit whiny.

4. Elimination Chamber (Feat. Earl Sweatshirt, Vince Staples & Action Bronson)
Possibly the track I was most excited for, being a major Earl fan and all. The beat's probably the dopest so far, and Domo sounds awesome. Earl sounds a little bit sub-par for him, but I'll give him a pass. Vince drops some sick ass lines, and probably drops the best verse so far. Action Bronson kind of sounds like he shoud be the best rapper in Young Money, just because of his delivery. He's okay on here, and it all makes for a really decent track.

5. Power Ballad (Feat. Smoke DZA)
Another dope guitar riff, and DZA sounds fucking awesome over the beat. Domo also drops his best verse so far, making this the top track so far.

6. Me And My Bitch
Domo's ballad to weed. This track is actually really well done, and Domo has his best flow so far over yet another awesome beat. Still doesn't break the record for best weed song however, which goes to Domo's "Smokemon" joint. The crying at the end on this is pretty funny too.

7. Till The Angels Come (Feat. Freddie Gibbs & Prodigy)
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER. I don't like the beat on here, seems way too laid back to me. Like if Drake was underground he'd rap over this, on an album called "Lavender Queen: Scented Candles And Incense". I don't like Gibbs on here at all, and Prodigy isn't much better. Not my least favorite song of all time, but I didn't really like this.

8. Daily News (Feat. Spaceghost Purp, Earl Sweatshirt & Action Bronson)
I really like this beat by Alchemist, and the vocal samples actually sound pretty cool at the beginning. Domo spits fire to start things off, and got me laughing with a Kat Stacks reference. I'm not sure why they got Earl and Bronson to do the hook, that was odd. Purp's verse was meh at best, but the beat and Domo's verse save this one.

9. Gamebreaker (Feat. Earl Sweatshirt)
This is the type of beat I love to hear Odd Future rap over, cool different type stuff. Earl spits a pretty dope verse on here, so it's one of the better tracks already, and Domo's pretty good too.

10. The Feeling
Another awesome beat, althought the track ends up being nothing more than passable. I mean, it's pretty good, but just passable for Domo. The hook's pretty boring too.

11. No Idols (Feat. Tyler, The Creator)
Holy fuck this track was awesome. Tyler spits one of his best verses ever, and Domo holds his own with the OF boss. The beat switches up a ton, but is great overall. This is easily the best track on a great album.

Best Tracks: Power Ballad, Gamebreaker, and No Idols. Honourable mention to Elimination Chamber, which was good, but dissapointing.

Grade: 9/10

So, this ends up being on-par with Relapse for my favorite on here so far. Domo is second fiddle a little too much for my liking, but the guests are some of the best I've seen in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment